Nafissatou is a Belgian athlete who competes in Heptathlon, long jump, high jump. Nafissatou became the Olympic champion in heptathlon in 2016. She also won gold medal at the 2017 IAAF World Athletics championships.
Nafissatou was born on 19th August 1994 to a Senegalese father and a Belgian father. She was brought up by her mother, her parents are divorced and her father has returned to Senagal, she has a sister and brothers.
Interesting Facts & Trivia
- Nafissatou started participating in athletics at the age of seven.
- She became a national champion for the first time in 2009 in her age group.
- She has the individual best score of 7013 points in Heptathlon. She is the third in the alltime best list behind the legendary Jackie Joyner-Kersee & Nafi's favorite athlete Carolina Klüft.
- Previous best score in women's heptathlon by a Belgian was 6298, Nafi broke it by a gigantic margin of 700+ points.
- First Belgian to win a World Athletics Championships gold medal: She achieved the feat at the Athletics World Championships held in London in 2017
- Belgian record holder: Nafi has:
- Long jump record: She achieved the Belgian Long jump record in August 2019, she achieved her best of 6.86 at Birmingham Diamond League
- Heptathlon record: she is the top ranked Belgian Heptathlete ever in aggregate points
- Javelin Throw: She became the Javelin record holder with a throw of 59.32m in 2017
- Thiam is one of the only 4 women to cross the 7000 points barrier in Heptathlon.
- In 2013 Thiam became the first Belgian woman athlete to break a world record.
- Thiam rose to fame after winning the Olympics Gold medal in 2016.
- Youngest Olympic heptathlon gold medalist: Nafissatou became the youngest ever in the history of the game to win a gold medal at the Olympics
- Flag bearer: Thiam was the Belgian flag bearer at the Olympic closing ceremony, a great honor deserving a champion like her.
- Triple Record: She is only the 3rd Heptathlon athlete ever to win a gold medal at all of- Olympics, World Championships & European championships
- Heptathlon world record: She has the best score ever in Heptathlon High jump, she achieved it with a jump of 20.02m
- Her favorite breakfast includes: Soya milk coffee + Banana/Mint/Passion Fruit/Cruesli/ alpro vegetal alternative to yogourt
- Nafissatou is the first Belgian athlete to win Gold medal at the World Athletics Championships.
- Nafissatou is a National Level gold medal winner in High jump as well as Long jump in her country Belgium.
- Practice: She usually runs in the morning as a part of her practice and practices other events after 3.30 in the evening.
- Future plans: She wants to finish her degree in 4 years instead of 3, make best use of her age, take sports seriously for some time and then devote her time for master's degree.
- She studied sceince in her high school.
- RFCL Athlétisme: She has been training with RFCL club for some time now.
- Nafi also used to train in basketball before taking athletics full time.
- She likes Javelin throwing and High jump, while not a fan of 800m running
- Usain Bolt gave her his number, she feels it is one of the best moments of her sporting career.
- She had a knee injury during training.
- She used to listen to Kelly Ross and Chris Brown during her training.
- Before the events she takes biscuits & rice pudding.
- Unicef Goodwill Ambassdor: Nafi Thiam is the Belgium UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Forbes 30 under 30: She was listed in the Forbes 30 under 30 European list.
- IAAF Female World Athlete of the Year: She was adjudged IAAF Female World Athlete of the Year for the year 2017
- Belgian Sportswoman of the Year: She has won Belgian Sportswoman of the Year award for her extraordinary achievement
- Car: She owns an Audi Q2. She has promoted Audi in Belgium by appearing in commercials
- Sponsors: Nike Belgium sponsors her
- October 2019: Won Silver at the World Championships
- June 2019: She wualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics by winning the 2019 Decastar Heptalon competition event held in Talence
- August 2018: She won gold at the 2018 European Championships. she is only the 3rd woman in the history of the game to win all 3 of- Olympics, World Championships & European Championships
- August 2017: She became the first Belgian to win a Gold medal at the Athletics World Championships in London by winning the medal in heptathlon.
- May 2017: Won gold at the Hypo-Meeting held in Götzis, Austria with a total of 7013 points. She topped in 5 of the 7 events, an incredible feat
- March 2017: Won Gold at the 2017 European Indoor Championships held in Belgrade with a total of 4870 points
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Nafi won the gold medal in Heptathlon at the Olympics with a score of 6810, a national record for her country.
- 2015: Won sivler medal in High jump at the European U23 Championships in High Jump
- 2015: Won sivler medal at the European Indoor Championships in Pentathlon
- 2014: Won bronze at the European Championships in Heptalon.
- 2013: Nafi broke the junior indoor world record in pentathlon at Ghent with a total of 4558.
- 2013: Nafi won the gold medal at the European Junior Athletics Championships with a score of 6298 points. A Belgian record in that age category.
- 2012: Nafi finished 14th at the World Junior Championships
- 2011: Nafi finished 4th an the World Youth Championships (Lille, France)with
- Olympic champion
- World champion
- European Indoor champion
- European Junior champion
- Diamond League meeting winner
- European Team Championships League winner
- National champion
- National Indoor champion
Nafissatou Thiam's - Best Performances by year
||Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
||World Junior Championships in Athletics
||European Junior Athletics Championships
||Letzigrund, Zürich, Switzerland
||European Athletics Championships
||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nafissatou Thiam- Quotes
- [Talking of her wide variety of interests in academic subjects] I like climatology, I like geomorphology (I like) A lot of subjects, like a heptathlon. Maybe that's why I love it (heptathlon).