Filippo Tortu is a young Italian sprinter. He is the European U20 Champio of 2017. He is dubbed the fastest youth of Europe.
Filippo Tortu was born on 15th June 1998 in Milan, Italy.
Filippo Tortu: Facts & Trivia
- Sprinting Family: Filippo's brother Giacomo is also a sprinter. Fiippo was trained by his father Salvino Tortu since childhood, Salvino was a sprinter in his days himself. Even his paternal grandfather was a sprinter.
- His family is of Sardinian background
- Kid's Race: Giacomo was participating in a race, Filippo was too much of a trouble for mom to handle, she came to know there was a race for small kids, she took him to the race to participate, he won the race, he was 4 year old at the time, he won a pink miniature motorcycle at the event, which he still keeps among his medals
- Filippo started training in sports at the age of 8, he has been trained in both Basketball & Athletics(Sprinting)
- The Gruppi Sportivi Fiamme Gialle: He trains with the Fiamme Gialle club, a sport section of police force, it is based in Ostia, Rome.
- Fastest guy in Milan: In 2010 Filippo won the sprints at the 1st and 2nd media, thus gaining the title
- Italian championships: Filippo won the championship in 2013 by running 80m in 9.09 seconds
- Italian under 18 Records: He ran 100m within 10.33 & 200m in 20.92 thus breaking both sprinting records of Junior Italian sprinting, he was just 17 at the time.
- Italian junior record: In 2016 Filippo broke the long standing Italian record of 10.25 seconds set by Pierfrancesco Pavoni who set it at the Athens Championships in 1982. He bettered the record in Amsterdam running 100m in 10.19 seconds.
- 4 X 100 Relays: Apart from 100m, 200m, He also runs in 100m relays.
- Youth Olympic Games(2014): He finished the 200m event Held in China with the timing of 21.38
- IAAF World U20 Championships(2016): Filippo ran the 100m event in 10.24 seconds behind the American Noah Lyles (10.17), it was held at Bydgoszcz, Poland. His Relay team finished 7th in the finals with the timing of 40.02, he ran the final leg of the relays.
- European Championships(2016): Filippo qualified for the Semi Finals with the timing of 10.25 seconds, he failed to qualify for the Finals though he ran the race in 10.19 seconds at the semi-finals.
- IAAF World Relays(2017): The Italians got disqualified for passing the baton outside the zone.
- European U20 Championships(2017): He won the Gold Medal at the 100m event held at Grosseto, Italy with the timings of 10.73. His relay team won a Silver medal at the event with 39.50, while Germany won with a narrow margin at 39.48
- World Championships(2017): Filippo qualified for the Semi-finals with the time of 20.59, but was 17th in the semi-finals losing out on the Finals quota
- Filippo Tortu's Personal bests as of March 20 2018 are:
- 60m: 6.64s
- 100 metres: 10.15
- 200 metres: 20.34s
- 4 × 100 m: 38.58
- He wants to break the Italian record of 10.01 in 100m set by Pietro Mennea in 1979 & 200m in 19.72 by the same Pietro Mennea
- He missed a spot at the 2016 Olympics by 0.03 seconds.
- Breaking Bones on the track: Tortu fell as he crossed the finish line at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing , he broke his ulna and could not participate at the finals
- Training: He trains about 5-6 times a week.
- When he was young he used to be too thin, so he limited his running to just 100m until he would grow some muscles enough to handle the curves and stress.
- When High jumper Gianmarco Tamberi had to miss Rio Olympics because of ankle injury, Filippo wrote a letter offering his support, and he even got a reply of congratulations from the high jumper
- His timing of 10.15 is the 6th fastest Italian performance ever in 100m
- His timing of 20:34 is the 4th fastest Italian performance ever in 200m
- He was featured on the cover of For Men italian magazine in December 2017
- He is sponsored by Nike
Filippo Tortu: Quotes
- [About his Family] The only one who has never done athletics in my family is my mom
- I want to go to university but I don’t really know what I want to do when I'm older.
- There is no villain worse than a good one when he becomes bad
- What is it for me to run? Fatigue, tenacity, emotion, but above all the passion that, since my childhood, my father and my brother transmitted to me.
- Nothing is impossible and I am ready to face every challenge starting with tomorrow
- Do not count the records
- Family dinners are more like sitcoms [He lives with 3 grandmothers]