Tia Jones is an American athlete who has broken Junior world record in women's hurdles. She participates in 100m, 200m Sprints as well as 100m hurdles.
Tia Jones was born on 8th August 2000 in Marietta, Georgia, United States
Facts & Trivia
- Tia was just 7 years old when started practicing sprinting. She was just racing with friends as a 6 year old, her mom thought proper training would help her.
- She trains 3-4 hours a day.
- Sports family: Tia's father Tyron Jones is a former footballer. He was a phenomenal athlete. Her brother Tyren Jones is a professional Footballer.
- All round Athlete: Her father has been training her in long jump, high jump, 100m, 200m, hurdles, shot put, Heptathlon. He wants her to do good in every thing.
- Tia Jones is mentored by Chaunte Lowe, Olympic medal winning American High jumper. It was arranged by Td Ameritrade.
- World junior record: Tia ran the 100m hurdles at the US Junior Championships within 12.84 seconds thus equalling the world junior record set by Aliuska Lopez back in 1987.
- Fastest 15 year old: At 15 Tia broke the last standing record set by a 20 year old, given the physical growth she will undergo in the coming years, she has great future in sprinting ahead.
- Athlete of the Week: USA Track & Field(USATF), national governing body for track and field named her the Athlete of the week when she was just above 12 at the time.
- 2016 IAAF World U20 Championships:
- Women's 100m Hurdles: Tia won bronze at the 100m hurdles event held at Bydgoszcz, Poland in 2016 with the timing of 12.89, 20 year old Elvira Herman of Belarus took 12.85 and 19 year old Rushelle Burton of Jamaica took 12.87 seconds.
- Women's 4 × 100 metres relay: At the same event Tia won a gold medal along with her team mates- Candace Hill, Kaylor Harris, Lynna Irby, Taylor Bennett in the relay category. They finished the relay in 43.69 seconds defeating the French team who finished second with 44.04 seconds.
- Her Parents gifted her a car in 2016.
- Tia Jones' personal Bests as of 2018:
- 60m: 7.66s
- 60m Hurdles: 8.05s
- 100m: 11.90s
- 100m Hurdles: 12.84s
- 200m: 23.81s
- 200m Hurdles: 25.34s
- She likes sleeping if she is not training or studying.
- Chaunte is a great mentor, she has helped me learn a lot, she has been helping me for my journey to 2020 Olympics.
- Sometimes when I run I wish I get more competition, Candace Hill is a perfect competitor, She is a great athlete, I'm so proud of her.
- The next 5 years I want to be the best I can be, I want to break records and set example for other people.
- I am growing into a better individual
- I try to stay humble of what I do. I don't really think of it, I just run my every race.
- I have learned that 'just because you are fast doesn't mean you are going to win'
- I need to work on my finish, I need to have my head down instead of chest.