Lakshya Sen [Deleted]
|Date Of Birth||August 16, 2001|
|Age||18 years 10 months 20 days|
|Day of Birth||Thursday|
|Place Of Birth||Almora, uttarakhand, India|
|Professions||Badminton , sports|
|Languages||Hindi , Kumaoni , English|
|Body Features & Measurements|
|Height||178 (2017) CM|
5 Feet 10 Inches
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Father||DK Sen (Coach at SAI)|
|Brother||Chirag Sen (Elder; also a badminton player)|
|Favorites, Hobbies, Likes/ Dislikes|
|Favorite sports persons|| LEE Chong Wei (Malaysian badminton player, one of the all time greats of the game) |
Prakash Padukone (Former Indian Badminton player and Multiple Super series winner)
|Coaches|| Vimal Kumar (at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy) |
Peter Gade (trained for a short period)
Sayali Gokhale (at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy)
Lakshya Sen is an Indian badminton player from Almora, uttarakhand, he was born on 16th August 2001. His name 'Lakshya' means Target/ Aim.
He got into the sports because of his grandfather who was also a badminton player, his father DK Sen is a coach at Sports Authority of India(SAI), his mother is a school in teacher. His elder brother Chirag Sen is also into badminton.
Image: Sen Brothers- Chirag Sen(Left) & Lakshya Sen(Right)
Lakshya Sen Interesting Facts
- He started playing badminton at the age of 6.
- Lakshya Sen had been #1 in the world junior badminton rankings(men's singles). He was congratulated by one and all, then Indian sports Minister Vijay Goel hailed him on twitter.
- He is the third Indian to be ranked #1 in the Junior Rankings after Siril Verma, Aditya Joshi. Lakshya's brother Chirag was world #2 for a period.
- Lakshya Sen has defeated his elder brother Chirag at the all-India junior-ranking badminton tournament in 2017. The brothers are friendly and both compliment and point out mistakes in each others' game.
- Lakshya Sen won Bronze at the 2016 Asia Junior Championships(Bangkok).
- He won the Eurasia Bulgarian Open 2017, it was a competition open for all ages, he was just 16 at the time.
- He won at the Sats India International Series 2016.
- Lakshya Sen made it to the quarterfinals of the Vietnam Open Badminton Grand Prix in 2016.
- Lakshya trains at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy in Bangalore. He moved to Bangalore along with his father at the age of 9 and half.
- He is coached by Sayali Gokhale(former Indian Nationals women's champion) at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, she calls him disciplined, sincere, hard working. He was trained by legendary Peter Gade during Bulgarian Open 2017.
- He has defeated top senior players like H S Prannoy(winner of US open, Swiss open) at the nationals.
- He trains for 7 hours a day from 6-7, 10-1, 3-5, and then Gym and other classes.
- He goes back to Uttarakhand for exams for about 2 months in an year, rest of the times he trains at the academy in Bangalore.
- He wants to represent India at the 2020 Olympics. His long term goal is to win the Olympic medal, while short term goal is to get in to top 50 of Men's rankings.
- Diet: Fruits like Banana, cereals.
- He has had prolonged back problem since 2014, he undergoes massaging, stretching to cope with it.
- Sanjay Sharma, former national champion feels in couple of years Lakshya would be beating the top players around the world and likely to get into top 50.
- He has been compared to Prakash Padukone for his style of playing, in fact even the legend Prakash Padukone himself mentioned similarities.
- Hard smashes, half smashes, fast drops are handy weapons in his arsenal.
- In the junior category after the Chinese sensation Sun Feixiang, Lakshya is considered the most sensational.
- Olympic Gold Quest(OGQ) has been supporting him since the age of 11.
- He is the youngest player ever to win All-India senior ranking tournament(2016).
- He likes it when people recognize him and come to him for a photograph or autograph.
- He likes- Movies, Friends, playing laser tag.
- He wakes up at 5.15 in the morning and trains at Kanteerava stadium Bangalore.
- In 2017 Premier Badminton League he won all the 7 matches for his franchise he played in.
Lakshya Sen Quotes
- I don’t care if my opponent is 18 or 28
- I play to win. It doesn’t matter how old he is.
- There used to be a time when I used to cry every time I lost a match. I just wanted to win so bad