Hamza Bendelladj is an Algerian computer hacker who is known to have hacked the American banks and robbed millions and according to some specualations upto $280 billion. More authentic records estimate the total value of his fraud at $10 Million.
He used trojan Horse virus to steal the passwords, he would install the virus into other people's computer and steal their login information, and later use it to transfer the money.
Hamza Bendelladj Interesting Facts
- Code name of Hamza is Bx1.
- Extradition: He was arrested in 2013 in Thailand at the Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport while travelling from Malaysia to Algeria. Thailand has extradition treaty with the United States, thus he was transferred to United States where he was jailed and his case was heard.
- He co-created the software called SpyEye, with which he stole the money. He sold the software to other hackers who used it as a part of botnet. It is believed that the virus affected as many as 50 million computers. The software is still said to be available on black market for about $10,000.
- Darkode.com: He was a member of Darkode.com, an underground group of unethical hackers.
- ATS: Automated Transfer system (along with Zues trojan) was used to transfer the money automatically once the account login information was gathered.
- He is believed to have hacked 217 different banks & institutions.
- Sentence: In April 2016, US courts sentenced him to 15 years in jail. There is no truth to claims claiming he is sentenced to death. US ambassador in Algeria clarified that there is capital punishment for such crimes in the law of United States.
- He was part of the duo, another half was a Russian hacker named Aleksandr Andreevich Panin. He was arrested in 2013 when he was flying over Atlanta, Georgia in an international flight.
- Aleksandr Panin & Hamza Bendelladj were considered legends in the dark world of hackers, police took it as a chance to teach others a lesson.
- He was one of the 39 unethical hackers list submitted by Microsoft to the United States police.
- Robin hood hacker: A twitter account supporting Hamza claimed he had donated $280 Billion from Israel and West and had transferred it to Palestinian charities, thus the nickname Robin hood hacker by his fans. It seems to be a claim by a Palestinian supporter and the statement needs to be factually supported.
- He changed his Iphone mobile IMEI Number every Day to remain anonymous.
- He was caught by an undercover agent who was posing to be an underground hacker buying the software from Hamza.
- Some of his supporters from Algeria and Hacking world hacked Air France and Virginia university websites in his support and demanded his release. #FreePalestine, #FreeHamzaBendellaj hashtags were trended on social media in his support.
- He worked as computer maintenance guy for three years.
- He is believed to be married and has a child with the wife.
- He lived a luxurious life travelling first class and staying in grand hotels.
- Algerian academics praised him as a hero and supported him.