Brianna Lyston is a Jamaican sprinter. She is popular for running the 200m race in world record time (in U-13 category)of just 23.72 seconds.
Brianna Lyston was born on 24th April 2004 in Spanish Town, St Catherine, Jamaica to Tyrone Lyston(Father) & Latoya Bennett(Mother)- a former sprinter herself.
Brianna Lyston: Facts & Trivia
- U-13 World record: She ran 200m race in 2017 under 23.73 seconds, thus creating a U-13 world record. Previous record was set by Tia Jones in July 2013.
- Next Florence Griffith-Joyner?: Florence Griffith-Joyner holds the fastest time record in the women's 200m discipline. She finished the sprint in the record time of 21.34. She was at her prime in 1988, she was 28 years old. Brianna was just 12 when she came within 2 seconds of the senior women's record in 2017. To compare: In 1933 Olympics Tollien Schuurman of Netherlands took 24.6 seconds to win the 200m race.
- Usain Bolt's successor: She is being projected as the next Usain Bolt. She too is from Jamaica(nicknamed "sprint factory") and is a promising young sprinter just like Usain Bolt was in his youth, Usain however ran medium distances early in his career and moved downwards later, Brianna though is a short distance runner. Analyst Hubert Lawrence thinks comparison with Olympic medal winners Aleen Bailey & Melaine Walker would be more appropriate.
- Disciplines: She runs 100m, 200m, 400m and 4X100 relay for Jamaica.
- Brianna's best in 100m in under 13 category has been 11.86 seconds.
- High School: She is studying at the St. Jago High School, Spanish Town, St Catherine
- Her mother Latoya Bennett is a former sprinter herself, she was the one who noticed Brianna's skills early.
- When she was 10 years old, she ran the 300m school race a second father than the boys her age, coach Keilando Goburn recognized something extraordinary then and there
- She wants to become a nurse when she grows up and also an athlete
- She once posted the logo- "work conquers all" on facebook
- She won the Jamaican combined (Girls & Boys) Athletics 200m sprint.
- She once ran the 200m race in 23.46 with wind supporting her.
Brianna Lyston: Quotes
- I didn't plan to break any records, I just followed my coach's instructions.
- I was really happy I won, Making my parents, school and country proud was just a great feeling.
- I plan to run hard in every race