Kunal Nayyar is a London born Indian descent American actor. He is most known for his role as astrophysicist Rajesh Ramayan Koothrappali on the CBS situational comedy show The Big Bang Theory.
Kunal Nayyar was born on 30th April 1981 in Hounslow, London, England. His family moved to Delhi when he was 3 years old, he grew up and studied mostly in New Delhi, India.
Kunal Nayyar & Neha Kapur: Kunal married Former Miss India(2006) Neha Kapur on 22nd December 2011, the couple live in Los Angeles and Delhi. The two had met for the first time on December 24, 2009 in Delhi. Their wedding was conducted for eventful 6 days with 1000 guests attending the event.
Image: Kunal Nayyar with wife Neha Kapur
Kunal Nayyar: Education
- School: Kunal attended St Columba's School situated at Ashok Place, Gole Market, New Delhi for his schooling.
- Graduation: Kunal studied Bachelor of Science in Finance (Business & marketing) at the University of Portland, Oregon, United States in 1999. He grew interested in acting and drama at the University, he participated in the school plays.
- Masters: Kunal attended Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for his masters degree(Master of Fine Arts) in acting.
Kunal Nayyar: Interesting Facts & Trivia
- Forbes listed Kunal in the Top 3 highest paid TV actors of 2015. He had earned $20 Million in the year. Others in the list with him were Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Simon Helberg (all 3 from The Big Bang Theory), Mark Harmon, Kunal Nayyar.
- He played Badminton in school days.
- He lives in Los Angeles for his work, while his parents live in Delhi India.
- Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF): He attended the event organized by KCACTF, inspired by this he decided to change his line of career and become an actor.
- For a brief period Kunal worked in London theaters.
- Yes, My Accent is Real: Kunal wrote an autobiographical book in 2015 based on his career journey, the title is a play on people who would get curious about his accent.
- He grew up loving Friends, he has met Friends stars Matthew Perry & David Schwimmer.
- Acrophobic: He is afraid of Heights.
- Claustrophobic: He is afraid of narrow passages.
- Mark Twain Award: He won the fellowship at the Sundance Theatre Lab- Utah as well as the Mark Twain Award for Comedic brilliance.
- American College Theatre Festival: He won at the competition with his monologue.
- Kunal: means he who sees beauty in everything, it comes from the name of a bird in the Himalayas.
- Raj Mahal: The apartment Kunal lives is called 'Raj Mahal' after the character in The Big Bang Theory.
- Salman Khan produced one of Kunal's movies- Dr. Cabbie.
- He studied theater for 7 years.
- He has appeared in commercials of products such as- Milky Way Chocolate
- He often attends Comic-cons to meet fans of his shows.
- He has a pet dog named Boba Fett, after the Star Wars character.
- Sometimes he gets confused with other brown actors like- Kumail Nanjiani, Asif Mandvi, Kal Penn. He reportedly enjoys those confusions.
- The Prince and the Pauper: He was part of the band with a friend, he was the prince
- He owned and drove- 'BMW i8' in 2017.
Kunal Nayyar: Awards
- Garland Award(2006): He won the award for playing the lead role in the play Huck and Holden
- Screen Actors Guild Award: Kunal has been nominated along with the cast of The Big Bang Theory continuously for years- 2012,13,14,15,16.
Kunal Nayyar: Quotes
- I know the industry in India. They pay so much money that it's bad for the heart (Speaking about moving to India for career)
- If you tell me my scope gets limited because of my ethnicity, I'll tell you there are so many tall good looking American boys for every mainstream role, I have no complaints.
- I would rather do social movies than be the quintessential Bollywood hero.
- My accent is exactly the one I had when I first landed in the United States.
- I was horrible in the play. I realized that I'm a bad actor & I must improve, I decided to take acting classes.
- Everyone warned me about trying to make a career in acting abroad. But that's what made me think about how cool it would be if I could make it.
- (About being stereotyped, about how people believe he is like the character he plays on TV) Girls have come up to me in the mall to talk, when I reply they get so shocked that I could actually speak to a girl.
- I really don't care much about being typecast. I really don't expect to play an American hero
- I have a dialect myself; It's half-British, half-Indian.
- I wish Jedi was a true religion.
- No one ever sees the sleepless nights, the years of studying and 14-hour days earning your dues.
- (About similarities with the character he plays) There is a lot of Koothrappali in me as a human being. A lot of mannerism, humor, mischievousness, my innocence.
- When you have a safety net, it allows you to take risks.
- I was pretty awkward when I was young, but I was never afraid of putting myself out there.
- Many of us will spend hours a week at the gym working on our outer body- yet won't spend five minutes in silence working on our inner body. Today unplug- just for 5 minutes- sit in solitude- be with your silent self- your true nature
- It's so much harder trying to be an ass to protect your ego. Let it go, release the burden, be a chiller, be a boss
- As much as possible today. Choose love.
- Today get out of your own way quit all the planning and for one day let everything just unfold.
- The more you choose love, the less the burden of all the pettiness that we carry. So Be love.
- It's so much easier to be kind than to hold on to all the petty things that literally don't matter.
- If you could just put this self made psychological box aside- even for a second- who is left inside? Who is there? Truth awaits.
- Sometimes it's just easier to give in to the universe- instead of banging your fists so hard against it. Stop fighting. Breathe. Surrender.
- Being kind is easier than being mean. And you know it.
- I'm making a commitment every day to make this a more loving world. Join me
- No one can put out your light but you. Keep the light on
- I haven't lost my Indian accent because I'm not trying to blend in
- We never say, 'Let's go grab Indian food' We just call it food.
- Sports have taught me how to lose with dignity.
- Scotch is my biggest weakness.
- I only understand the weather in Celsius.
- I can drive on both sides of the road.
- Napping is the secret to my success.
Kunal Nayyar: Photos, Pictures
Kunal Nayyar's Dad Rakesh Nayyar
Kunal Nayyar's Mom Heita Nayyar
Kunal Nayyar with wife Neha Kapur
Kunal Nayyar with wife Neha Kapur
Kunal Nayyar with wife Neha Kapur
Kunal Nayyar Family: Rakesh Nayyar(Dad), Heita Nayyar(Mother), Neha Kapur(Wife)
Kunal Nayyar Shirtless
Kunal Nayyar's car