Rachel Brosnahan is an American TV & Movie actress. She is a Golde Globe winner for her comic role in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. She is famous for playing Rachel Posner in House of Cards, Miriam Maisel in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Jessica Kensky in Patriots Day(2016), Bea Hansen in The Finest Hours (2016), Abby Isaacs in Manhattan, Genevieve Duchannes in Beautiful Creatures(2013).
Rachel Brosnahan was born on 15th December 1990 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. Her father is a publisher of Children's books, mother Carol is of Briish ancestry. Rachel has two younger siblings, a brother and a sister.
Image: Rachel Brosnahan Family
Rachel Brosnahan: Facts & Trivia
- She feels stand-up comedy is not her cup of tea. [She jokes she once had to pay people to laugh at her jokes]
- Wrestling: She was in the wrestling team in High School, she was the only girl among 30-40 wrestlers. Some times her opponents would forfeit against her for she is a girl, which would really piss her off. She liked to win by merit.
- Musicals: She was into musicals in High school, when in one of the seasons both musicals and wrestling fell in the same season, she quit wrestling to participate in Musicals. She was deep into musical theater by her Junior High and High school.
- Athletic Family: She comes from a sports friendly family, her father played Tennis, her brother played Hockey, her sister played soccer, she herself played snowboarding. She was already a snowboarding instructor at High School.
- First audition: Her first ever audition was for a role in the movie Unborn (which had Gary Oldman). She had to skip her Calculus class to attend the audition and had to lie that her grandmother had passed away. She as advised by some seniors, mumbled her lines on the audition.
- When she was in college, she read every play she could lay her hand on as preparation for her future career as actress.
- She had a small role in Unborn for which she had to appear on the set on the same day she had planned a vacation with family, she was on the verge of quitting the movie, but the director & producers persuaded her to take up the role.
- Ancestry: She is of Irish(Paternal) & Maternal(British) descent.
- She got her nose immediately pierced when she came to New York, her parents when they saw it in the Thanks Giving weren't as thrilled as she was. She doesn't have Tattoos on her though.
- Golden Globe Award: Rachel won the best actress award at the Golden Globes 2018 in the TV series Comedy actress category. She was told by various directors while growing up that she wasn't good at comedy.
- Critics' Choice Awards: Her roles as Miriam Maisel also got her a Critics Award as well
- To prepare for her role in- 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' she went to see lot of amateur comedy shows, she watched lot of documentaries.
- A good accident: She got sent to an audition wrongly, there she met a casting director, whose friendship which eventually got her another audition.
- Her Twitter Bio reads- "Mother of Dogs. Feminist. Actor when given a hat."
- She has dogs named Winston & Nikki.
- Her role in 'House of Cards' was initially was very short, but her performance forced the writers to stretch it and give her some more screen time.
- Broadway Bootcamp: She did babysitting in her youth and has saved some money which she used to attend Broadway Bootcamp, an acting camp.
- She attended Wilmette's Actors Training Center at the age of 16, the institute's director Carole Dibo later became Rachel's manager.
- Times Square billboard: Season 2 of the 'House of Cards' advertised with a billboard of Rachel's face on the Times Square, she messaged the ad to her parents with the text "Thought you two might appreciate this."
- She travels a lot for her work and often doesn't carry lot of clothes, when at home she wears her younger sister's clothes.
- Emmy nomination: She was nominated at the Emmy's for her role as Rachel Posner in 'House of Cards'
- She didn't have too much space in her apartment to keep the Golden Globe, she keeps it in her bath room.
- She wears Jeans and T-shirts around casually when not acting or attending events.
- Hi, Oprah!: In between her Golden Globes award speech she spotted Oprah and blurted out a "Hi Oprah" like a true fan girl.
- She worked as a waitress and a babysitter until her career took a good turn after House of Cards
- She graduated High school in just 3 & Half years
- Best advice she received- "You are the only you, thus you don't lose roles to anybody else, there is no competition, they either want you or don't want you, not like somebody won over you"
- She supported Women's March of 2017, she liked President Barack Obama.
- She expressed her regrets for having worked with Woody Allen who is accused of molesting his step daughter
- She was brought up in predominantly Jewish are, she went to synagogues more than Church.
- Doppelgänger: Rachel's Great Grandmother Helen and Rachel have quite a resemblance.
Rachel Brosnahan: Quotes
- [About Wrestling] I love it is both an individual sport as well as team sport, People ask me how I felt about being the only girl in the class, you know it is fought on weight, so there was not much disadvantage to fight with boys, it has different interesting game plays, I loved it.
- [About Wrestling] When put against me, boys would sometimes wrestle harder than they ever did in their entire life because they did not want to lose to a girl.
- [While talking about her character which is a stand-up comic] I think stand-up is more like a prolonged mental breakdown, I don't know.[She laughs]
- It was challenging to be a woman back then with all those complicated clothing, it is still challenging in different ways though.
- We feel like we are living in a bubble some times.
- [About her character which won 2018 Golden Globes] Midge is, may be the most unapologetically confident woman that I have read in a script. That scared the crap out of me and made me desperate to play her.
- I'm fortunate in my real life, that confidence is not the issue I have struggled with for any extended periods.
- I was always kind of shy, I would read a lot, and always liked doing school plays from Little Red Riding hood to Tree #4 and everything in between.
- I came close to getting a role in couple of gigs, but couldn't seal the deal, It hit my optimism, I thought I was never going to get a role.
- I believe that if you have good attitude and just don't go way, you are going to be successful.
- I'm a fully flesh, real human being, I don't remember any of the Golden Globe event, it was too much.
- I think I always knew without being able to articulate it that I loved performing, as I got older I realized I wanted to be an actress. My parents promptly fainted when they heard me.
- I have been fortunate enough to be busy.. I feel like I'm having breakthroughs over and over and over with myself and on how I'm doing things.
- There is no real one right way to doing things, everyone's path is different, it is hard to pin point a way.
- Some times I would feel like I'd be an utter failure, but I'd rather risk big and fail huge than try and play safe.
- I have been lucky enough to be working and I want to keep it that way.
- Drama was all I ever wanted to do. There was no plan B!
- I need to do more on stage. I've got to get my fix!
Rachel Brosnahan: Photos, Pictures
Rachel Brosnahan with Boyfriend Jason Ralph
Rachel Brosnahan with Boyfriend Jason Ralph
Rachel Brosnahan childhood
Rachel Brosnahan with her Dad in childhood
Rachel Brosnahan's doppelganger great grandmother Helen
Rachel Brosnahan the wrestler
Rachel Brosnahan Family