Gaten Matarazzo was born on 8 September 2002 in New Jersey, USA to Heather Matarazzo and Gaten Matarazzo Sr. He is an American actor, best known for his role of Dustin in the Netflix web series ‘Stranger Things’. He has portrayed several roles in theatre and television series until now and inspite of his young age he has already done several noteworthy performances. He is yet to make a debut in feature films. Gaten Matarazzo suffers from cleidocranial dysplasia which he has discussed in several platforms. He has been rejected from several acting roles for around two years owing to this disability.
He has two siblings, Carmen Matarazzo and Sabrina Matarazzo. His siblings have acted in television commercials as well. His mother has been supportive of the artistic inclination of all her children and encourages them to pursue performing arts. She calls herself ‘Broadway stage mom’ on Twitter and has been vital in shaping Gaten’s career in the film industry. During his initial school days, Gaten used to travel regularly between New Jersey and New York City for his Broadway performances. He has confessed that his sister is his inspiration to pursue musical theatre.
Gaten Matarazzo has revealed on several platofrms that he is afflicted with a rare genetic disorder ‘Cleidocranial dysplasia’. The ailment affects the facial, skull and teeth development. Gaten was born without collar bones. He still has his baby teeth due to which he speaks with a lisp. While generally this disease is passed through genes, his case is considered a non genetic and mild one. He believes that sharing this knowledge about his affliction will help build awareness and confidence among persons affected by this condition. In his current project ‘Stranger Things’ his character is shown to be affected by the same health condition.
Facts and Trivia
- He is from a locality known as Tucker Tony which is near Long Beach Island.
- Stranger Things is filmed without sequential mindset. Season 5 is first filmed and then season 7 is filmed.
- He got his first role when he was 9. It was in Priscilla Queen of the desert.
- He did two national tours one of which was with Radio City Christmas Rockettes. The other was laymen’s is.
- His brother(Carmen) is a drummer.
- Mother was a singer and did a high school theater in college.
- His father was a sports athletic.
- His brother is 5’10 and has the most height In his family.
- He visited the White house and met President Obama.
- He likes Marmite breadsticks.
- He met his current co star Caleb on Lion King in Broadway when he was working in laymen’s in Broadway.
- He’s spokesperson for a electronics TV company.
- He has watched Deadpool movie.
- He has a dog named Maddie Matarazzo.
- He has a cousin named Kayle.
- He has a lot of Brazilian fans.
- His family brought his sister a Volkswagen for her graduation.
- He was In 2015, Gaten guest appeared as Finn in the crime drama series The Blacklist.
- He was regarded as one of the 30 most influential teens of 2016 by Time.
- Gaten has never appeared in a theatrical film.
- For Stranger Things, he had initially auditioned for the role of Mike. After that, he was asked to audition as Lucas Sinclair, before finally asking him to give screen tests as Dustin.
- He does not like to play sports but enjoys watching them.
- Do or Dare(2018):He played the role- Himself in the Series with actors- Jason Derulo, Jermaine Dupri, James Davis playing the lead characters.
- The Doctors(2018):Gaten Matarazzo portrayed the character of Himself in the Series starring Jim Sears, Travis Stork, Andrew Ordon in the main roles.
- Live! with Kelly(2018):He played the character- Himself in the TV Series with actors- Kelly Ripa, Michael Strahan, Regis Philbin playing main roles.
- Hoy nos toca(2017):He played Himself in the Series produced by Canal de la Ciudad with the cast Diego Morán, Mariana Merlo, Nicolás Artusi .
- WGN Morning News(2017):He portrayed the role- Himself in the TV Series produced by WGN Chicago with the cast of Lou Manfredini, Terry Savage, Lauren Streicher .
- E! Live from the Red Carpet(2017):Gaten played Himself / Himself - Countdown Guest in the TV Series , it was produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions, E! Entertainment Television, NBC Universal Television with actors- Ryan Seacrest, Ross Mathews, Giuliana Rancic in the lead cast.
- Lip Sync Battle(2017):He played the role of Himself - Competitor in the Musical Series with stars- C.J. Tyson, Chrissy Teigen, LL Cool J playing important roles.
- The Late Late Show with James Corden(2017):Gaten Matarazzo portrayed the character of Himself in the Comedy Series , it features Reggie Watts, James Corden, Louis Waymouth in the cast.
- Celebrity Page(2017):He portrayed the role of Himself in this Series created by Unconventional Partners with actors- Arthur Kade, Sonia Isabelle, Jaymes Vaughan in the lead cast.
- Ridiculousness(2017):Gaten Matarazzo was Himself in the Comedy Series produced by New Remote Productions, Superjacket Productions, Shane Nickerson, Rob Dyrdek, Jeff Tremaine with the cast of Sterling Brim, Chanel West Coast, Rob Dyrdek .
- Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show(2017):He played Himself in the Comedy TV Series produced by A Very Good Production Inc., Time Telepictures Television, Ellen DeGeneres, Telepictures Productions with stars- Ellen DeGeneres, Anthony Okungbowa, Stephen Boss in the main roles.
- Extra(2017):He acted in the role of HimselfHimself in the TV Series with actors- Renee Bargh, Mario Lopez, Charissa Thompson in the lead cast.
- Total Request Live(2017):He portrayed the character- Himself in the Series with John Norris, Carson Daly, Chris Sabella in the lead cast.
- Entertainment Tonight(2017):Gaten was Himself in the Series produced by CBS Paramount Domestic Television, Alfred Masini, Cox Broadcasting, Paramount Domestic Television with actors- Kevin Frazier, Nancy O'Dell, Mark Steines playing the lead characters.
- Good Morning America(2017):He portrayed the role- Himself - Guest in this TV Series created by American Broadcasting Company (ABC), ABC News starring Lara Spencer, Ginger Zee, Amy Robach in the main roles.
- Quotidien(2016):He played the character of Himself in the Series created by TMC starring Jonathan Lambert, Vincent Dedienne, Yann Barthès in the lead.
- Chelsea(2016):Gaten appeared as Himself in the Series , the series was created by Netflix with stars- Chelsea Handler, Jeff Wild, Daniel Maurio in the main roles.
- Stranger Things(2016):He played Dustin Henderson in the Horror Fantasy TV Series , it has Winona Ryder, Millie Bobby Brown, Finn Wolfhard in the main roles.
- Young Hollywood(2016):He portrayed Himself in the Series with Nikki Novak, Baruch Shemtov, Oliver Trevena in the lead.
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon(2016):He portrayed the role- Himself / Dustin Henderson in the Musical Comedy Series , the series was created by Broadway Video, Universal Television , cast included The Roots, Jimmy Fallon, Steve Higgins .
- The Jonathan Ross Show(2016):Gaten played Himself - guest in the Series with stars- David Walliams, John Bishop, Jonathan Ross in the main roles.
- Jimmy Kimmel Live!(2016):Gaten appeared as Himself in the Musical TV Series , the series was created by Jimmy Kimmel, Jackhole Industries, ABC Studios, 12:05 Productions , cast includes Jimmy Kimmel, Cleto Escobedo III, Cleto and the Cletones .
- The Blacklist(2015):He played Finn in the Crime Drama Series with actors- Megan Boone, James Spader, Diego Klattenhoff in the lead cast.
- The 75th Golden Globe Awards(2018):He played the role of Himself - Audience Member (uncredited) in the TV program directed by Louis J. Horvitz created by Barry Adelman, Dick Clark Productions, Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), Michael Shoemaker with Dakota Johnson, Gal Gadot, Jennifer Aniston in the lead cast.
- American Music Awards 2017(2017):Gaten played Himself - Presenter in the Musical TV program directed by created by Jon Macks starring Lauren Dundee, Tracee Ellis Ross, Christina Aguilera in the lead.
- 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards(2017):Gaten Matarazzo portrayed the character of Himself - Winner in the Musical TV program directed by Joe DeMaio created by Tom Reed, Scotty Landes, MTV Networks , it has Blake Anderson, Ajiona Alexus, Adam Devine playing in the lead.
- The 23rd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards(2017):He acted as Himself - Winner & Presenter in the TV program directed by Alan Carter created by Avalon Harbor Entertainment, Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), Dave Boone starring Uzo Aduba, Casey Affleck, Amy Adams in the main roles.
- The 74th Golden Globe Awards(2017):Gaten played Himself in the TV program directed by Louis J. Horvitz created by Barry Adelman, Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), Jonathan Adler, Dick Clark Productions with stars- Leonardo DiCaprio, Michelle Williams, Milo Ventimiglia in the main roles.
- The 68th Primetime Emmy Awards(2016):He portrayed the role of Himself - Performer in the TV program directed by Glenn Weiss created by Don Mischer Productions, Tony Barbieri, Jack Allison, Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (ATAS) with actors- Anthony Anderson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jimmy Kimmel in the lead cast.
- The 11th Annual CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute(2017):Gaten appeared as Himself - presenter in the Documentary directed by Renee Cullen , cast included Sterling K. Brown, Iain Armitage, Christian Bale .
- Beyond Stranger Things(2017):He played Himself in the Documentary TV series documentary with the cast of Jim Rash, Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer .
- Katy Perry Feat. Nicki Minaj: Swish Swish(2017):He portrayed in this Comedy Short Video directed by Dave Meyers created by Capitol Records , it stars Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, Joey Chestnut, Kristin Cantrell in the cast.
Gaten Matarazzo: Photos, Pictures
Gaten Matarazzo with family
Gaten Matarazzo with grandparents
Gaten Matarazzo with Mark Ruffalo