|Date Of Birth||February 7, 1972|
|Age||51 years 7 months 18 days|
|Day of Birth||Monday|
|Place Of Birth||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Professions||Actress , Producer , Model|
|Full Name||Essence Uhurra Atkins|
|Other Name||Esence Atkins|
|Residence||New York, United States|
|Ethnicities||Multiracial , African American|
|Body Features & Measurements|
5 Feet 2 Inches
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||7 (US)|
|Dress Size||8 (US)|
|Son||Varro Blair Mendez (born on 25th December 2011)|
|Education(School)||Profession Children School (A school for kids who can not attend regular schools while being busy other professions like acting,)|
|Alma Mater||Alvin Ailey Institute (Dancing Institute)|
|Love, Romance, Marriage|
|Husband||Jaime Mendez (Football player; married in 2009 & divorced in 2016)|
|Debut (Movie)||Nikita's Blues(1999)|
|Debut (TV)||The Cosby Show|
|Favorites, Hobbies, Likes/ Dislikes|
|Favorite Movies||A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) |
|Social Networks, Web links|
|Facebook Profile||Essence Atkins Facebook Profile|
|Twitter Profile||Essence Atkins Twitter Profile|
|Instagram Profile||Essence Atkins Instagram Profile|
|Friends|| Valarie Pettiford (actress & dancer) |
|Net worth||$5 Million|
Essence Atkins is an American TV & Movie actress, Model, voice artist & Producer. She made her acting debut with- The Cosby Show. Nikita's Blues(1999) was her first movie. Essence is popular for playing roles- Kisha in A Haunted House(2013), Jamie in How High(2001), Suzanne Kingston in Are We There Yet?, Tasha Yvette Henderson in Smart Guy, Ashley Wayne in Marlon, Samantha Owens in Mr. Box Office, Dee Dee Thorne in Half & Half, Julie Tate in Malibu Shores, Charlotte in Under One Roof, Paula Young in The Cosby Show.
[ Essence Atkins ]
Childhood - Family
Essence Uhura Atkins was born on 7th February 1972 in Brooklyn, New York, United States to Sandy Nelson(Mother) & Geoffrey Atkins(Father). She grew up in St. Albans, Queens.
[ Essence Atkins Childhood ]
[ Essence Atkins with Father Geoffrey Atkins ]
- Profession Children School: A school for children busy with professions like acting, dancing, singing and were unable to take regular classes.
- Alvin Ailey Institute: A professional dancing training institute, she attended both school and dancing school simultaneously.
Marriage - Relationship
Essence Atkins & Jaime Mendez
Essence & Jaime met on 14th February 2008 through the online dating service-> Match.com.
They dated for an year and tied the knot on 26th September 2009 in Pasadena, California at the Ambassador Mansion & Gardens. She wore Stephen Yearick gown. Jaime is a football player of Puerto Rican origin, her friend & co-star of Half and Half- Valarie Pettiford performed at the reception event. The couple had taken salsa classes together for the wedding.
Image: Essence Atkins with husband Jaime Mendez
Essence Atkins filed for divorce in 2016.
Essence & Jaime had a son named Varro Blair Mendez born on 25th December 2011. She was 39 at the time, it was a christmas day.
Image: Essence Atkins with son Varro Blair Mendez
Facts & Trivia
- First African American Soap Opera: Under One Roof(1995) was the first African American prime time soap Opera, Essence was in it.
- Cosby show: She wanted to be a dancer as a kid, she was attending a dance school(Alvin Ailey Institute), she saw a job description on the bulletin board for a job in the Cosby play, she called the casting manager and was hired for the job after a couple of auditions.
- Marlon Wayans who has worked with her previously called her 'A Crazy B!t%#' in an impressed way. (They have worked on 5+ projects together)
- Image Award: She was nominated for the award in 2005 & 2011
- Bookworm: She liked reading as a child and still loves reading books.
- This Very Moment(2002): She has appeared in the music video of K-Ci Hailey and Jo Jo Hailey
- Hostess: She hosted the 365 Black award show in 2017
- Her advice to new comers- Study, know the greats before you, be creative, you can always be proactive in so many ways like filming yourself, to keep yourself busy, to be creative
- Middle Name: Her middle name 'Uhura', it comes from the Star Trek character Lieutenant Uhura
- Weight Loss: When the script of one of her movies demanded that she lose some weight, she lost a considerable amount of weight.
- Join the Movement: She appeared in the PSA TV Ad which was created to raise awareness about AIDS in association with greaterthan.org
- Looks younger than her age: She played the reel daughter of 'John Marshall Jones' in the TV series- Smart Guy (1997). In real life she is 9 years 6 months junior to him
Questions & Answers
- What are the qualities in Men she likes to date?
- Someone who is a combination of The Rock & Jim Carrey. Strong and polite as well as humorous in a silly way.
- Who is Essence Atkins' Twin sister?
- Essence is the ONLY child of her parents. In the 2000s she was confused to be a twin of famous twins- Tia Mowry & Tamera Mowry
|2019||Same Difference||Tonya / Shauna||also as executive producer|
|2018||Coins for Christmas||Madison||TV Movie|
|2016||You Can't Hurry Love||Camille||TV Movie|
|2015||Girlfriends Getaway 2||Lauren||TV Movie|
|2015||Battle Scars||Elsie Ramirez|
|2015||Sister Code||Corrine Wells|
|2014||My Other Mother||Candy||TV Movie|
|2014||Girlfriends' Getaway||Lauren||TV Movie|
|2014||A Haunted House 2||Kisha|
|2013||Holiday Road Trip||Clara||TV Movie|
|2013||My Sister's Wedding||Tandy|
|2013||Act Like You Love Me||Kelly|
|2013||A Haunted House||Kisha|
|2012||From This Day Forward||Patrice|
|2011||The Bachelor Party||Michelle||Direct to video|
|2008||Love for Sale||Candace|
|2007||Football Wives||TV Movie|
|2007||Love... & Other 4 Letter Words||Roxanne|
|2003||Deliver Us from Eva||Kareenah Dandrige|
|2002||Looking Through Lillian||Andrea|
|2001||XCU: Extreme Close Up||Tamikah Jones|
|2000||Love Song||Toni||TV Movie|
TV Series List
|2019||Ambitions||Amara Hughes||Main Role; All 18 Episodes|
|2019||Carol's Second Act||Kathleen||"Game Changer" (Season 1 Episode 6)|
|2019||A Black Lady Sketch Show||"3rd & Bonaparte Is Always in the Shade" ( Season 1 Episode 3)|
|2019||Wonder Pets!||Extra||"Save the Choir!/Minions Rules!"(Season 6 Episode 21)|
|2017-2018||Marlon||Ashley Wayne||20 episodes; Main Role|
|2017||Face Value||Team Captain|
|2017||The Great Indoors||Denise||"The Heartbreaker" (Season 1 Episode 20)|
|2012-2013||Mr. Box Office||Samantha Owens||22 episodes; Season 1; Main role|
|2010-2012||Are We There Yet?||Suzanne Kingston-Persons||74 episodes; Main Role;|
|2011||House of Payne||Monica||"Payne Showers", "Playing with Fire", "When the Payne's Away"(Season 7 Episode 2-4)|
|2009||Nite Tales: The Series||Shandra||"Dark Heart" (Season 1 Episode 2)|
|2007||House||Captain Greta Cooper||"The Right Stuff" ( Season 4 Episode 2)|
|2007||The Class||Melanie Deacon||"The Class Has to Go to a Stupid Museum" ( Season 1 Episode 14)|
|2002-2006||Half & Half||Dee Dee Thorne||All 91 episodes; Main Role;|
|2005||Love, Inc.||Renee||"Mad About You" (Season 1 Episode 3)|
|2000||Sabrina, the Teenage Witch||Marnie||"Love in Bloom", "Salem's Daughter" (Season 4 Episode 15,17); Every Witch Way But Loose (Season 5 Episode 1)|
|1999||Moesha||Piper Davis||The Party's Over (Here) (Season 5 Episode 3); Unappreciated Interest (Season 5 Episode 9)|
|1997-1999||Smart Guy||Tasha Yvette Henderson||Main role; 51 episodes; Seasons 1-3|
|1997||Promised Land||Rachel||Mirror Image (Season 1 Episode 14)|
|1996||The John Larroquette Show||Jocelyn||The Blues Traveller , Cheeses H. Taste (Season 4 Episode 4,8)|
|1996||Malibu Shores||Julie Tate||Main Role; All 10 episodes; Season 1 Episdoes 1-10|
|1996||The Parent 'Hood||Chantel||"One Man and a Baby" ( Season 2 Episode 12)|
|1995||The Wayans Bros.||Nina||Farmer's Daughter (Season 2 Episode 11)|
|1995||Under One Roof||Charlotte Langston||Main role; All 6 episodes; Season 1 Episodes 1-6|
|1993||Saved by the Bell: The College Years||Danielle Marks||"Pilot" (season 1 Episode 1)|
|1992||Here and Now||Khalilia||Love Handles, A.J.'s Big Leap (Season 1 Episode 7,9)|
|1992||Family Matters||Becky||Brown Bombshell (Season 3 Episode 16)|
|1991||Charlie Hoover||Amy||Out of the Frying Pan ( Season 1 Episode 5)|
|1986-1989||The Cosby Show||Paula Young||Vanessa's Rich ( Season 3 Episode 8); I'm 'In' with the 'In' Crowd (Season 6 Episode 3)|
|2017||Solstice Ranch||Lola Solstice|
|2016||Darryl||as associate producer|
|1991||Sunday in Paris||Allison Chase||TV|
|2005||Nomination||Image Awards||Half & Half||Outstanding Supporting Actress (comedy)|
|2011||Nomination||NAACP Image Awards||Are We There Yet?||Outstanding Actress ( Comedy Series)|
|2018||Nomination||NAACP Image Awards||Marlon||Outstanding Supporting Actress (Comedy Series)|
- I became an actress by default, it was not a conscious effort.
- Whenever I have excitement and fear about something, it usually turns out to be something good.
- Essence Atkins is extremely insecure, I hate red carpets, I hate interviews
- As actors it is our job to tell stories, and not compromise with the characters
- As an actress I had to learn to let go of my vanity, in ways that lot of people haven't.
- I love telling stories, I love exploring what it is that justifies people's behavior. In every role I try to explore what makes characters interesting, what is that made them what they are.
- I do think that black people, black women are stereotyped in the industry.
- I think I have a very big heart and that I'm very empathetic. I have a greater sense of compassion from the practice of doing that as an actress.
- I'm really grateful for what acting has given, it has made me a better person.
- Hollywood is still, as much progress as we have made, there are still old dinosaurs holding on to the old regime.
- But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal
- I think it is very possible even in divorce to have humor and Love.
- It takes courage to leave home and pursue your dream
- In order to achieve something you need to know what is motivating you and what is it that you want to do.
- Happiness is a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
- I guess my passion for acting started with the simple task of story telling. When I'm telling a story, I get lost in it.
- As a working woman I have to remind myself constantly to be present when at home. When I'm not working I have to make sure I'm there for my husband and child.
- The dream is ever evolving, if it is not you are stagnant.
- I love Marlon Wayans, we have worked on numerous projects together, we have a great trust. He is so kind to everyone, he is so full of energy and kind to everyone.
- People love the paranormal and horror genres because it is very close to comedy, horror and comedy are kissing cousins.
- Everyone has dysfunctional friends, if you don't have one then it is you.
- It is fantastic to work in horror movies because they have to try to make you look shittier than what you look when you arrive.
- Fly is about swag, not based on other people's approval, it is when you are self possessed, it is when you don't have to compare with other people, because you are so happy with what you are
- I like anything apocalyptic and scares the bejesus out of you.
- If we are not supporting each other at the end of the day, then what are we doing
- I come to work on time, I come to work prepared, I come to work kind, those sound rudimentary but those contribute to people wanting to work with you again.
- I was very brave at 18, I had lot of confidence, I did not have lot of money, I was having fun.
- On screen intimacy is bit weird, there are so many people around choreographing everything
- Insecurity begets narcissism.